Well, we have paid our rally fees and we are definitely on our way to the Rallye Aicha des Gazelles!!! Our final fundraising push is a silent auction, open until February 4th at 11pm EST. Lots of cool stuff is up for bid including some gift cards from SDHQ Off Road, Off Road Vixens, RSK Clothing, and Mary Kay. Plus a discounted pro entry to a MORE race, a photo package from Dezert Wife Photography, a co-driver seat in a few races with Dezert Outlaw Motorsports, and more!! Check it out at www.32auctions.com/tcg
We are now deep in the depths of finding a rental truck…in French. Here’s how you communicate via email to French rental companies:
1. Frantically search the internet for “French truck rental”
2. Realize that there are contacts listed in your Gazelle packet
3. Feel dorky
4. Attempt to write an email in French
5. Proof read it with your terrible French but think, “This sounds good,” and hit send
6. Remember something called Google Translate and run your already sent French email through
7. Laugh at the pathetic translation and rewrite email
8. Resend email with addendum: “Ecrit avec l’aide de Google Translate”
9. Receive email from said French company
10. Reverse Google Translate process
The map has gone up, giving us plenty of time to check out the terrain via Google Earth. It seems I owe a lot to Google Inc, lately! At any rate, here’s a glimpse.
So we now have lots of things to take care of: getting the necessary supplies, a new pair of boots (yes!), tools, a tent…everything we’ll need for 9 days in Morocco. One thing we will NOT need is a navigation unit. Remember, Gazelles navigate with a compass and an old map and nothing more. It’s what makes the Gazelle Rally FULL OF AWESOME!!!